According to a survey conducted by the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association), on an average, there were more than 45,000 office and house fires reported to the fire department in the US annually that were caused due to electrical system within 2011-2014. These fires have led to many fatal injuries to people and in some cases, there were causalities as well. This is why it has become important that you stay safe from the fires caused due to the electrical systems.
The best way to stay away from these mishaps is to get the electrical systems used in your office or home designed by professionals, like Electrician South Jersey. However, there are times when you buy a space that already has the electrical systems in place. This is when you need to be careful and take steps to avoid any mishap.
Electrical fires can be caused by many parts of your electric system, including the wires, lamps, cords, plugs, power supplies, transformers, and various other things. To make sure that none of them become the reason behind a fire, all you need to make sure is that you keep them in the best condition possible. However, for most people, it’s easier said than done.
Here are some of the things that you need to consider doing to prevent the fire caused due to electrical systems:
Change the old wiring systems
Generally, most of the electrical wirings have a lifespan of 40-50 years and it’s seen that around a third of the houses and offices have wirings that are older than 50 years. If you see signs, like frequently blowing up of thefuse, frequent tripping of the circuit breakers, and extensive use of surge protectors in your office or house, then it’s time you consider changing the electrical wiring of your property. Make sure you hire a professional Electrician South Jersey to get the job done.
Stay away from the arc faults
Arc faults are one of the most common reasons for electrical fires. They happen when an electric current strays away from its intended path. There are many reasons why they could happen, including damaged wires inside the walls, tree falling on the wires during a storm, loose connections, and various other things. You can use an Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter or AFCI to detect any fault in your office or home’s electrical system. Once you find one, it’s better to take help of professionals to fix the issue and keep your property safe.